Tuesday, November 16, 2010

More strangeness in the dreams department

I woke up this morning to an exceptionally odd dream. In it, I was getting ready for work. That's not really too unusual. I've had those kind of dreams before, and usually they just serve to annoy me to no end when I wake up and realize that I haven't actually just brushed my teeth and showered and all those other things, and now I have to do them again. So as I'm getting ready, I'm in the kitchen and I see unfamiliar movement out the window through the mostly-closed blinds. I go for a better look and see an absolutely huge mountain lion in our front yard. I yell to Lori to look out the window RIGHT NOW and run to her. She is continuing down the steps towards the living room and I say again "No! LOOK OUT THE WINDOW!" and grab her by the hand and drag her up to the landing on the stairs, which overlooks the street in front of our house. Then I finally get a good look at the thing, and can see it better. It's enormous. Up to my chest at least... kinda saber-toothed tiger huge. But it looks really thin and mangy like it hasn't eaten in quite a while. It's fur is tan and matted, and at just the right angle it looks like it has very faint spots on its back. So we're watching as this mountain lion stalks a deer across the street, which has it's back to us. And in this explosion of power the lion runs across the street and sinks its teeth into the back end of the deer and takes it down. The deer didn't get more than a jump in before it was down. At that point I notice two things. First is there is another deer over by the poolhouse that the lion had already gotten. It was alive, but bitten in the spine and paralyzed so it couldn't get away. The second is there is a white van from some sort of service company parked in the street. The (very very stupid) guys from the company noticed the commotion and came out to get a closer look. One was on the far side of the van, just feet away from where the lion was, another was at the front of the van, and two were farther back, on our side of the street yelling at the other guys to get away from it. Then, the guy who was closest to the lion got too close, and it jumped him.

Have you ever had a moment in a dream where it resets to a certain point because you made the wrong decision? At that point in the dream, as soon as the lion jumped, I bolted downstairs and into the garage and grabbed my machete. But as I turn, and I'm trying to decide if it would be faster to open the garage door or run back through the house and out the front door, I realize I've been too slow, and suddenly I'm back on the stairs with Lori, but bolting upstairs where I grab a gun out of the safe. I run back down the stairs, jump from the landing down to the entryway and out the door and across the street still in my socks, gun in hand. The guy who was bitten is on the ground with the lion on top of him trying to fight it off, and the other guys are trying to drag him away by his other arm. I tell him to hold it as still as he can and I put a 9mm hollow-point through its brain. The lion goes limp, and I can hear someone in the background calling 911.

This is the point where I fully woke up. I'm not sure what the dream means, if anything, but I'm pretty sure it has less significance than Lori's dream, which she described as flying to Europe to spoon feed some sort of prince and princess. At least the connotations of her dream are pretty obvious.

No comments: