Monday, December 6, 2010

On Dreams

My subconscious mind is much more talented than I am. It's a writer, creator, poet and musician in ways that I can only dream (no pun intended) of achieving in the waking world. I once wrote a 12 page short story almost entirely while asleep, surprising myself with its completion when I woke up in the morning with my head on the keyboard. Often, entire songs will come in my dreams, as if I'm hearing them performed or on the radio. Sometimes, this works to my advantage, as when I wake up, I am able to remember snippets of what I dreamed and write them down. Other times, it's maddening as I feel the very last shred of whatever it was slip away, back down into the depths of my brain, often to never resurface again. This morning was one of the latter. In my dream, I was just able to realize I was dreaming at the very last moment of hearing this song, and I woke up and grabbed my journal and hunted for a pen. But as I'm writing it down, the words start to fade from the page, and page I'm writing on turns to coal. I remember etching the last two lines I wrote into the coal with the tip of my pen. Crap. I'm still dreaming. I jerk myself awake, focusing hard on remembering the words so they don't fade away forever. Despite the fact that I'd just heard an entire song, and it was quite good, all I could grasp in the fading moments were 2 lines of the chorus, the two lines I etched in coal — "I will trust in you, in everything I do. I will trust in you my God." I think. I'm not quite sure. I can still hear the singers voice. The song was so complete that when I got up, I had to Google it to make sure it wasn't just something I heard on the radio once. I can even tell you that I think it was sung by BarlowGirl.

My brain is absolutely the most frustrating thing. It really drives me crazy sometimes, the tricks it pulls.

-Adam

No comments: