Sunday, May 2, 2010

I have a blog, I should probably use it.

So what's new or news in the Potts house? Well, a few things. A lot has stayed the same, but there are some exciting things happening. One of them is the fact that we will have an actual, semi-organized garden this year, that is actually in the ground instead of pots strewn all over the patio. We have tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, herbs and some other things Lori planted that I can't remember right now. Healthy stuff I likely won't eat, I'm sure. But the fun part of that is the lilies I planted last year came back, even though I thought they were dead, and our blackberry and raspberry plants are absolutely thriving. I think all the fireplace ash I dumped over them during the winter helped them out quite a bit. We finally tore up the two railroad ties that were in the corner of the yard, so that opened things up a lot. Speaking of which, if anyone wants them for anything - building a shed on top of or something - I'd love to help you haul them away. Once we get all the weeds in that area killed, we'll be able to plant there too, which is exciting.

We also have plans to get a water softener this year, which may not sound very thrilling, but I assure you, I'm quite happy about the idea of not needing to scrape water deposits off all our dishes after they come out of the dishwasher.

The other exciting thing is that I seem to have stumbled upon a great business opportunity that also makes good use of my creative side. I have been designing and making decorative lightswitch covers, and they seem to be a big hit with everyone. At my current prices, iveould have to sell about 70-100 of them a day to completely replace my income, so obviously that won't happen any time soon, but I am looking forward to stepping up production and streamlining my workflow. The problem with them is that try are actually quite difficult to make without screwing up. In order to get the design to come out right, I have to peel off my vinyl templates while the paint is still wet, but not so wet that it smears. The other side of the problem is that with the complex designs I've been using, I can basically only make 1 or maybe 2 at a time. Any more than that, and the paint is too dry and peels off with the vinyl. So dashed are my hopes of being able to crank out dozens all at once. But that's ok, I'm learning new things with every switch I make and getting better at judging how quickly the paint dries and what effect various temperatures and humidities have on the whole process.




-- Adam

No comments: